Recipes-Delicious, Healthy and Easy!
Here are a few delicious, healthy and easy recipes that will help you eat right and still enjoy the food you are eating.
Chocoholic? Click here for
easy, healthy and delicious chocolate dessert recipes!
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded, reduced-fat Mexican blend or Monterey Jack cheese, divided use
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup skim milk
- � teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- � cup refrigerated egg substitute
- � cup thinly sliced green onions (white and light green parts only)
- Combine salsa and beans in a bowl, set aside.
- Coat an 11x7 inch baking dish with cooking spray, then place 1/3 of tortilla strips in bottom. Top with 1/3 cup of cheese and about 1 cup of salsa mixture.
- Repeat layers, beginning with tortilla strips and ending with 1/3 cup of cheese.
- Top with remaining tortilla chips.
- Whisk together sour cream and next 4 ingredients. Stir in onions. Pour over layers.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup of cheese. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
Next day, when you�re ready to eat:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove dish from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 10-15 minutes. Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Serves 6. Per serving: 258 calories; 5.6 grams of fat; 28.5 grams of Carbohydrate; 23.4 grams of protein
At last! A comprehensive cooking and fitness package created just for you, the busy mom...Click Here!
Spicy Steak and Vegetable Grill
- � cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon black and/or red pepper
- 12 oz. well-trimmed flank steak
- 1 � lbs. vegetables cut into large strips such as try fresh zucchini, mushrooms, (preferably portabella), red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onions.
- Make marinade.Combine soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper. Place meat and vegetables in shallow pan;pour marinade over meat and vegetables.Let marinade sit for 15 minutes or longer.
- Place drained meat and veggies on hot grill; cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until golden brown on bottom.
- Turn and cook on the other side until meat is desired doneness and vegetables are golden brown.
- Slice steak thinly on the diagonal and serve with vegetables.
Serves 4. Per serving: 197 calories; 9.6 grams of fat; 9 grams of carbohydrate; 11 grams of protein
Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen suagr snap peas
- � cup red pepper, diced
- 2 cups cooked thin spaghetti noodles
- 1 pound cooked medium size shrimp
- 3 tablespoons (or to taste) low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- � cup chopped green onions for garnish (optional)
- In wok or deep-frying pan, stir garlic in oil over medium high heat until lightly browned.
- Stir in sugar snap peas and red pepper; cover pan and �steam� until vegetables are desired doneness (about 5 minutes).
- Uncover, stir in cooked noodles, cooked shrimp, soy sauce and cornstarch mixture until all ingredients are hot and sauce has thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions and additional soy sauce, if desired.
Serves 4. Per serving: 309 calories; 4.3grams of fat; 34 grams of carbohydrate; 32 grams of protein
Source: Advocare��s "The Perfect You Guidebook", 2004
Low Fat Moroccan Chicken
from Jeff, the skinny chef...
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts fillets, skinless
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 shredded zucchini
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken broth (preferably, low sodium broth
- 1-8 oz can of chick peas, drained
- 1/4 cup of sultanas/raisins
- 6 prunes, pitted and chopped
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- Heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan, and fry the chicken for 3 minutes, turning it over once. Set aside.
- Cook the onion, zucchini and garlic in the frying pan, stirring for about 4 minutes, till they go tender.
- Add the cilantro and cinnamon, and keep stirring for a minute.
- Add the broth and bring the whole thing to a boil.
- Add the cooked chicken and chick peas, sultanas and prunes.Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the orange juice, and continue simmering for another 5 minutes till the mixture goes thick.
Serves 4. Each serving contains 8 grams of Fat and 327 Calories.